2012-06-12

Indie Game: The Movie Soundtrack


The digital edition of "Indie Game: The Movie" was finally released today.  I was disappointed that the movie has been on-tour for so long before this happened, but I understand and acknowledge that they had their reasons.  I look forward to seeing it.


But this blog post isn't about the film.  As a special "thank you", Jim Guthrie's soundtrack for the film was released today as a bonus I believe to the Kickstarter backers.  For this I am grateful.


Let me start by saying that I had purchased his previous album for the Superbrothers: Sword and Sworcery game "The Ballad of the Space Babies", and I have found that to be fairly amazing.  There are a several tracks that I simply love, and I think I've listened to it every day for the past two weeks.


Unfortunately "Indie Game: The Movie (Soundtrack)" has not resonated with me thusly.  In fact, it has left very little impression with me, (other than one song reminding me strongly of Sunny Day Real Estate.)  My biggest disappointment is that I was hoping to experience a similar reaction to BSB, but instead it strikes me as a bunch of incidental music.  It may complement the film spectacularly, however it is not an album that I think I will ever sit down and listen to and experience again.


I mean no disrespect to Mr. Guthrie; this is but one man's impression.


-Waldo


UPDATE: I've just finished watching the film. It is a wonderful story wonderfully told, and the soundtrack fits in perfectly. That doesn't change my earlier opinion, but the soundtrack does indeed suit it's intended purpose.


No comments:

Post a Comment