2009-09-19

Notes on Dev Tools on Snow Leopard

Some notes on development tools after upgrading to Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard).

I apologize in advance for any inaccuracies, as I'd made some incorrect assumptions during my upgrade, and was troubleshooting for my own workflow. Thus, I didn't take notes. Should I have to troubleshoot a similar scenario in the future, I will pay more attention to confirm certain details. Nope, can't be bothered to recreate the scenario...

After upgrading from Leopard (with the dev tools, Xcode et al.) to Snow Leopard, I attempted to install a Perl module from CPAN, but I was getting errors mostly surrounding make. I first realized that I hadn't run
perl -e MCPAN shell
under sudo (gotten out of the habit at work using perl in Win32), but sudo didn't help. I'd also separately noticed that I couldn't access strftime.h from include (and don't think that I could bring up the man page either).

What ended up fixing everything was explicitly installing the Dev package from the Snow Leopard disk. Apparently when I chose to upgrade (and I would have sworn that I had selected a custom upgrade including Dev tools and excluding non-EN-US languages and all additional drivers) Xcode and the Unix utils weren't upgraded as well...

As I said, I'll take better notes should I come across this again.

-Waldo




No comments:

Post a Comment